The roots of the Schlitzer Distillery date back to the year 1585 as recorded in sixteenth-century bills and documents. Dues of wine, beer and brandy in the realm of the counts of Schlitz are attestable as early as 1575.
The first beer was brewed in the hamlet of Sandlofs, today a village of Schlitzerland. Then count Eustach of Schlitz, named Görtz, founded a distillery next to the brewery.
Development of the company
In the course of their growing importance in Schlitz, the Görtz family built a new distillery next to the brewery in 1616. A new distillery building was erected in today’s Auerhahn-Brewery about 100 years later. Even today, the counts of Schlitz own the rights to produce brandy.
The distillery moved to its present location in the nineteen-fifties.
On the 1st April 1969 the distillery was sold to the State of Hesse together with Karlshof - the count´s farm.
In the following years the distillery was constantly modernised. Today´s high-tech manufacturing facility in combination with traditional skills and recipes result in the highest quality spirits.
Fruit juice and herbs liquors have been added to our product range.
In 1998 the Edelobstbrennerei was founded. Since then premium fruit brandies have been manufactured in a new building using state-of-the-art technology.
Today the distillery and the farm are separate businesses. Since 1st October 2006 the towns of Schlitz (90%) and Hünfeld (10%) own the shares of the new company, named Schlitzer Korn- und Edelobstbrennerei GmbH.